REVIEW: Atmosphere (Taylor Jenkins Reid)
Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid
Premise: In the summer of 1980, Joan Goodwin begins training to be an astronaut at Houston's Johnson Space Centre. As the new astronauts prepare for their first flights, Joan finds a passion and a love she never imagined. Then, in December of 1984, on mission STS-LR9, everything changes in an instant.
This book is a love story between two women as they train to become astronauts. It packed a punch with a very dramatic opening scene from 1984, then jumps back to tell us how we got to that point. If you're looking for a story about space, you're not going to get it. The story focuses more on human relationships, both romantic, platonic and familial.
I can see why this book had such an impact on readers and why people found it emotional. I read this straight after finishing The Count of Monte Cristo so I don't think I was in the best headspace for it. A classic case of "its not you, its me". But it was enjoyable and I think I'd have like it more if I'd read it another time.