REVIEW: The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
Author: John Steinbeck
Premise: As drought turns their land into a dust bowl, the Joads decide they have no choice but to follow the thousands leaving Oklahoma. They head west, towards California, where they hope to find work and a future for their family. But while the journey to this promised land will take its inevitable toll.
This book covers the Dust Bowl during the 1930s, where drought and the Depression forced thousands of workers from their homes and across the US in search of work. The story alternate between shorter more lyrical chapters describing the general state of things, and longer chapters following the Joad family. We see how poorly the migrants were treated, both by hateful locals and greedy employers. There's suffering but also glimmers of humanity. I must admit that I found it a bit of a slog and my mind was wondering at times. I can see why it's won prizes and loved by many...maybe one to reread in a few years time.